Sunday, May 31, 2015

The Real Charlie Charlie Challenge

As a little girl, whenever we ran from worms or dogs or anything that my mother deemed harmless, she would say, “What you all are supposed to be afraid of, you’re not afraid of.”  I used to think, of course we are afraid of what we consider scary.  As I got a little bit older, I realized that she was referring to boys; and she most likely was talking to my older sisters because when she died, I was 11 and had the body of a nine year old……boy.

For the past 45 years, nobody was skillful enough to convince me that ghosts existed.  Not saying that hearing the stories didn’t scare the crap out of me; and if we had to go home alone in the dark, it wasn’t fun trying to see who was pulling up the rear.  And over the course of my life, I’ve always known somebody who knew somebody who was a friend of somebody who got possessed by demons and had to eventually leave Antigua for the United States.  And for some reason those same people also knew of a young girl whose jealous neighbors went to an obeah man/woman who worked obeah on her and she too had to leave.  But for some reason, I never personally knew these people; and no one I knew personally ever knew them personally.

If you are not familiar with the Charlie Charlie Challenge, here it is in a nutshell:  you balance a pencil on another pencil, draw two lines to form four quadrants, write the words YES and NO twice so that they are diagonal to the identical word.  You summon this Mexican demon name Charlie…..go figure.  And if it lands on YES, something something.  If it lands on NO, you cannot leave.  Oh yeah, if it lands on YES, it follows you home.  I personally lost interest halfway.  Apart from Charlie not being a common Mexican name, I have a few questions.

Does it matter what kind of pencils are used?  Like do they have to be brand new?  Have an eraser?  Be perfectly sharpened?  Do they specifically have to be No. 2, because I know for exams that is a requirement?  Some pencils are of very bad quality and every time they get sharpened, they get smaller and smaller.  Can these short pencils work? 

Since Charlie is Mexican, do I have to call him Charlie Charlie by the way, or one Charlie will do when I’m talking about him, BUT not summoning him....digressing...if this game is played in some African, Asian or European country, is it implied that Charlie is multilingual?  I mean no is no in both English and Spanish, and even if most Mexicans don’t know English, they at least know yes.  But what happens when kids who speak Swahili play this game?

And my last issue is this, if it was that easy to summon a demon: two pencils, YES facing YES, NO facing NO on a piece of paper, why the hell did people waste so much money hiring obeah men and women?  If any child can summon a demon all the way from Mexico at that, why are celebrities selling their souls to the Devil for fame and fortune?  If any idiot can summon a demon, why did those people have to leave Antigua for good when they were possessed?  Couldn’t their enemies simply follow them and work obeah on them again once they crossed oceans?

When I first heard about the Charlie Charlie Challenge, I thought it had something to do with Charlie Edbo, and I thought to myself, “Okay, as much as you think these people are fanatical about their religion, it is not worth dying over to piss them off.”  Trying to see if an Islamic extremist group will issue a fatwa on you if you write something negative about Mohammed is a challenge.  Summoning a Mexican demon named Charlie that no one has actually ever seen is a joke.


Look, I’m not trying to convince you not to believe any more than I expect you to convince me to believe; however I just feel that praying for protection from Charlie might be bit futile.  What might be more effective is telling your young daughters about charlie if she comes into contact with one and was never given “the speech” because perspectively speaking, without the right information and necessary tools, summoning that charlie can cause her in nine months to deal with a demon for 18 years to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment