Monday, April 6, 2015

Ignorance Is Bliss….ONLY When You’re Being Cheated On!

Other than that, get a clue, find a clue, buy a clue.  Shoot, pretend you have a clue.

So don’t tell me that the Jeopardy! category ‘Healthy Cooking with Michelle Obama’ with her giving video clues looked like she shaved her head.  And I can understand the idiots in the peanut gallery wondering if the First Lady of the United States really shaved her head.  But for professionals to request comments from Jeopardy! and from the White House is ridiculous.

Common sense would tell anyone that her hair is pulled back.  And I for one get it.  I realized many decades ago that that style was not for me.  After trying it a few times, I decided not to unleash the full force of my big forehead onto the world.  The First Lady was in the White House kitchen.  I doubt if her intention was to look glamorous.  That pulled back style is used often by dancers.  Lilith Crane from the sitcom, Frasier, was famous for it…when she wasn’t trying to seduce Frasier.  Unfortunately, common sense is not as common as one would think; and people actually thought that maybe Michelle Obama was sick.  They questioned the lighting, the excess gray hair on a 51 year old woman, the angle of the cameras. 

But other than all of those stupid questions, why on Earth would the First Lady of the United States shave her head while representing this country?  And if she was indeed getting bald, how is it possible that she appeared on the Ellen DeGeneres show two weeks prior with a full head of hair, and is now completely bald?  And if she was indeed balding, doesn’t she have professionals to fix that.


Beauton Gilbow, the 79 year old house mother of the SAE fraternity, was seen on the infamous video chanting nigger nigger nigger nigger and laughing like it was 1815 in the Deep South.  Therefore, when she told a TV reporter that she had never heard that song before, we certainly did not believe her.  And naturally, when confronted about the video, she replied that she has friends of all races and was just singing along to the Trinidad James’ song ‘All Gold Everything’.  She was actually surprised that the video made her look racist.  First off, I’ve never heard of Trinidad James, and Granny is decades older than me.  Secondly, you know Granny is not listening to crappy rap in her spare time.  Is she that clueless to ‘have friends of all races’ and not know that acting in that manner wouldn’t offend them all?

Then there is Levi Pettit, whose parents first apologized for his “disgusting” behavior but claimed that he is not racist.  A few days later, he apologized himself, flanked by Black religious and civic leaders of Oklahoma City.  This is in part what he said, “I never thought of myself as a racist. I never considered it a possibility.”  At least ringleader Parker Rice never claimed that his actions don’t make him racist.  But again, drunk or not, how could they not know that this was offensive to one race – the human race?  Poor Levi.  He had no idea that what he said in the song would be so hurtful. L


Dr. Beverly Daniel Tatum is the current president of Spellman College.  At 60 years old, she has been an educator for more than half of her life, having been a professor, department chair and dean before joining one of America's oldest historically black colleges for women.  She also authored three books.  Therefore, I can imagine how shocked she was after giving a speech when a White man came up to her and said how impressed he was and if he hadn’t seen her, he would think that she was White.

I know he thought he was giving her a compliment, but how ignorant did he sound?  First of all, not all White people are educated, and most of them certainly do not talk like professors.  Has he ever watched Jerry Springer?  Does ‘Here Comes Honey Boo Boo’ ring a bell?


News Anchor Kristi Capel sat adjacent to her Black colleague Wayne Dawson and said about Lady Gaga, “It's hard to really hear her voice with all the jigaboo music.”  After viewers called her out, she replied on Twitter “I apologize if I offended you, I had no idea it was a word or what it meant. Thank you for watching.”  I’m not even going to respond to this one!



The way Detective Patrick Cherry berated an Uber driver, one would not believe it wasn’t his own child, who he probably doesn’t even speak to in that manner.  Check this clip out yourself, because I can’t.  I seriously can’t.  Of course he sincerely apologized, but he just could be sincerely sorry for losing his badge and gun.  http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/04/cop-sort-of-apologizes-to-uber-driver-over-xenophobic-rant-that-went-viral/


I won’t bore you with the many insults the Obama Family has had to endure over the past eight years.  Time does not permit; and I am not about to conjure up that much hate on this good Monday morning.  But I guess what baffles me is how a regular person just cannot go online and search the word ‘melanin’.  It is simply the pigment that gives human skin, hair, and eyes their color.  So when ignorant people ask, “how come you two are related when you are so much darker”, it makes you wonder how come they don’t ask their mom the same question about their sibling’s eye color or hair color.  When they disregard people with darker complexions yet complain that men treat blonds better than they, you have to wonder how they cannot see the similarity. 

Unfortunately it is not only race that has the foot-in-mouth disease.  Here are just a couple of incidents.

Jonah Hill, seen to some as a cherubic comedic genius, or to me as a chubby unfunny actor, was so annoyed by a paparazzi hounding him last summer, that in his rage he yelled, “Suck my dick, you faggot!”  Yes, Jonah Hill!  The same Jonah Hill who has always been so vocal in supporting the gay community.  He then went on a series of talk shows professing that from the day he was born, he’s been a gay-rights activist.  Now that he mentioned it, I remember seeing him in a purple onesie once J  During his Tonight Show apology, he said in part, “I’m leaving here to go to spend the day with one of my closest co-workers and best friend, who is gay, who is getting married, and who I’m going to go stand at his wedding.”  That gives the ‘some of my best friends are Black’ a new spin.

Everyone knows Joey Casselberry, right?  Of course not!  Well, after March 21, 2015, a lot of us did.  He tweeted, “Disney is making a movie about Mo’ne Davis? WHAT A JOKE. That slut got rocked by Nevada.”  Now common sense, which we know not everyone possesses, should have clued Little Joey in on the fact that one does not call any woman that word, much less a sweet looking 13 year old, of which he has no personal knowledge.  After the backlash, he offered, “An example that one stupid tweet can ruin someone's life and I couldn't be more sorry about my actions last night. I please ask you to.”  He was sorry alright.  Sorry he got kicked off the team, and Mo’ne’s plea for him to be reinstated didn’t even help.


You know what I would like?  I would really like for someone who says something asinine or derogatory in public or writes some batshit comment on social media, who then gets busted and has to apologize, to do this – to say something like, “I’m not sorry for what I said.  I’m just sorry that I got caught,” because perspectively speaking, every time I hear these heartfelt insincere apologies, that is exactly what I hear.

1 comment: